Cycling & Sailing tour Frisian Sea & island hopping - "Open Water, beautiful landscape, picturesque harbours"
Large traditional sailing vessel WAPEN FAN FRYSLÂN: from/to Enkhuizen
Sailing tours are something special. Feel the freedom and the wind and salt on your skin! It's a bit like discovering the seas as an explorer. Aboard the WAPEN FAN FRYSLÂN you can enjoy the pure nature and enjoy water, sun and a stiff breeze. There is a natural area along the coast of the North Sea which is unique throughout the whole world - the mudflats of the Frisian Sea. A world with two faces - sand and water dominate during the changeover from low to high tide. Smaller and larger islands lined up like pearls on a chain protect the shoals of the mudflats. This is a place where you can experience pure nature: the sea, the wind and the sun. You can look forward to a nice adventurous tour with a variety of experiences. What are you waiting for? Cast off!
Description of the WAPEN FAN FRYSLÂN:
With its 55 metres of length, the WAPEN FAN FRYSLÂN is the largest two-master schooner on the Dutch waterways. In 1965 the sailing ship was launched as a freight ship and it transported all kinds of freight throughout the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium. In 2003 the ship was completely transformed into a sailing passenger ship. On board of this marvellous ship you will immediately notice its warm atmosphere. On deck there is a large pilothouse with a cosy and stylish bar and seating area. The panorama windows offer a perfect all around view of the water. The afterdeck has a bar with draught beer taps and a Jacuzzi and on the middle deck there are various sitting areas. There is room to enjoy a lovely meal outdoors. The large salon, also restaurant, is characterised by its cosy appearance and flexible furnishing. All 12 spacious cabins (ca. 10 m2) have two separate box spring beds (90x200 m) that can easily be transformed into a double bed. Each cabin has its own shower, toilet and washbasin and each cabin has a folding bed as a third bed which can be used if needed and a porthole which can be opened. Technical data: two-master schooner. Length 55 m. Width 7,2 m. Draught 1,55 m. Sail area 550 qm. 24 to 36 passengers. 3 person crew.
Day 1 (Sat): Arrival and embarkation in Enkhuizen
Individual arrival and embarkation from 4 pm near the beautiful centre of Enkhuizen and close to the railway station. The skipper will join you for an aperitif and explain many things worth knowing about the journey, the ship and also about safety measures to be taken onboard. In the evening you can stroll through the historical centre of Enkhuizen and spend the night onboard in Enkhuizen.
Day 2 (Sun): Enkhuizen - Medemblik - Den Oever bike tour (40 km)
Today the ship sails from Enkhuizen to Den Oever. You can stay on board and sail over the IJsselmeer or you can grab a bike and start your first cycling tour along the IJsselmeer coast through the beautiful polder-landscape via Medemblik up to Den Oever with its fishing harbour. Depending on the weather in the evening the ship will sail across the Wadden Sea to the Island of Texel.
Day 3 (Mo): Texel - round tour from Oudeschild (1 - 65 km)
The island of Texel has a varied scenery and picturesque villages. Explore the largest of the Dutch North Sea islands. on a roundtrip cycling tour. Our tip: Use the well signposted Thijsse-route (about 40 km) and visit some villages, the seal sanctuary station EcoMare and the nice traditional beer brewery.
Day 4 (Tue): island of Texel - island of Terschelling, sailing day (5 - 6 hrs)
Today the ship will sail, when the tide and the weather is good, to the island of Terschelling. You will manoeuvre through the sandbanks of the Wadden Sea and when you are lucky you will see seals lying to rest on a sandbar. In the afternoon the ship will arrives on Terschelling.
Day 5 (Wed): Terschelling: explore the island by bike (1 - 40 km)
Terschelling offers a lot: nature and culture, 70 km cycling tracks and 4 beautiful villages. West-Terschelling is the largest village on the island with nice shops and pubs. The landmark of the island can already be seen well from a distance, the 400 year old lighthouse "Brandaris". Also worth seeing is the heath land "Boschplaat". It captivates with its mud, beaches and dunes. You might even spot a number of ducks, black-winged stilts and large colonies of spoonbills and great black-backed gulls.
Day 6 (Tue): island of Terschelling - island of Vlieland or (alternative) Southwest coast of the Province of Friesland
Today the ship tries to reach the island of Vlieland, which is depending on weather and tide. The smallest island with just one village on it and about 1,100 islanders is car-free and therefore excellent to explore by bike. The beach is just 100 m from the harbour. From the highest point of the island, the dune "Vuurboetsduin", you have a fantastic view over a number of islands, the North Sea and the mudflats. If Vlieland can't be reached there is an alternative: a sailing trip to the south-western part of the Province of Friesland with a roundtrip cycling tour.
Day 7 (Fr): Vlieland or Province of Friesland - sailing back to Enkhuizen
Today we will sail you back to Enkhuizen.
Day 8 (Sat): end of the tour in Enkhuizen
Disembarkation by 09:30 am. A beautiful journey full of new experiences has come to an end.
Important remarks about the Sail & Bike program:
A Sail & Bike tour is like a little bit of adventure: the only thing which is really fixed on this cruise is the departure and arrival harbour Enkhuizen. The sailing routes to be taken depend largely on wind and weather forecast. The skipper will determine from day to day the exact sailing schedule. The skipper and his crew will do everything they can to offer you the program as planned so you can enjoy a fascinating week with a variety of activities, nature and culture, but it is possible that the departure and sailing times and/or the order of the program has to be changed. Enjoy and relax: the elements will lead you! Various parts of the tour will be sailed. The ship of course has a motor as well, so if the winds are unfavorable or even absent, it can still reach the next destination . All distances are "approximate distances" of recommended bike tours. When a guest does not want to cycle one day, she/he can skip the bike tour and relax on board while cruising to the next harbour. Program + details barring changes as a result of nautical, technical or meteorological reasons. The interior of the ship is a non-smoking zone: smoking is only allowed on the sun deck. As a safety measure, a statutory smoking ban applies in all cabins; this means that all cabins and rooms on board are non-smoking areas.
- Embarkation: from 16:00 hours to 18:00 hours
- Disembarkation: After breakfast by 09:30 hours
- Bicycles on board: Mostly unisex bicycles with normal mount (ladies model), 7 gears, hand brake and/or pedal brake and pannier bag. E-Bikes are on these tours only available after prior request (by booking) and confirmation and a very limited number possible. Please indicate your body height by booking.
- Language on board: German, English, Dutch
- Cycle tours: The bike tours are individual, at your own pace, without a tour guide, but with daily briefings on board and detailed bicycle maps and directions. The cycling routes are depending on the sail program and with that also of weather and weather expectation. Program changes are therefore barring changes. Nearly all cycle tours can be classified as being easy. All named distances are approximate distances.
- Luggage: we recommend: rainwear, bicycle helmet, sunhat and sneakers.
- Diet: (i.e.: lactosefree, glutenfree) possible on request and for an extra charge. Must be booked at least 14 days prior to departure.
- Travel documents: EU-nationals need a valid passport.
Prices per person in Euro:
Departures: May / June to September
2-bed-cabin: 799,- / 899,-
2-bed-cabin for single use (limited): 1.199,- / 1.349,-
3-bed-cabin: 699,- / 799,-
Passenger car parking options in Enkhuizen: Free parking fee (unguarded parking at the NS-train station in Enkhuizen is free), not far from the harbour (subject to change). No reservation possible.
from 18 up to 36
Frisia, Lake Yssel, North Holland, North Sea, Texel
- Tour and accommodation on board in the booked category
- 8 days /7 nights (Sat/Sat/) from/to Enkhuizen
- Full board (7x breakfast, 6x picnic lunch during bike tours, 7x three course dinner
- Use of bed linen and towels (change of towels on request)
- regular cleaning of the cabin
- Welcoming drink and -speech on the first evening
- Board tour guide by the crew with daily briefings of the bike tours
- Printed instructions and detailed maps for daily individual bike tours
- Daily coffee and tea between 3 and 4 PM
Start date: on request
Click to order
- Season and cabin prices see tour description
- Rental bicycle with 7 gear, hand- and/or pedal brakes, pannier bag: EUR 70,-
- Rental E-Bike (Flyer) 3 support levels, 7 gears, reach approx. 60-65 km/36-39 miles: EUR 165,- (only a limited number of electrical bikes available: pref. reservation by booking)
- Transfers to/from the docking place in Enkhuizen, other transfers, bike rent, entrance fees & excursions, fees for ferries, drinks on board, personal (travel) insurances, gratuities (at your discretion)
- 3-bed-cabin: see tour description