Beautiful river valleys, vineyards and picturesque towns from Koblenz to Saarburg
MS PATRIA Explore the valleys along Moselle and Saar
What could provide a more pleasant break than a trip to the Moselle and the Saar, two rivers which wind through enchanting countryside, where castles on the hills guard the route and you can visit market squares surrounded by timbered houses? Is it any wonder that Moselle wine has built up such a good name? The journey through the Moselle valley between Koblenz and Trier traverses some of Germany's most beautiful countryside. You will meet winegrowers and bottlers on the way, but also cyclists from all around the world.
The history of this region even goes back to the Roman Era, some 2.000 years ago. Beautiful timbered houses, vineyards, the Porta Nigra in Trier, the "German corner" (conjunction of Moselle and Rhine) in Koblenz and Saarburg (also known as "little Venice") are but a few of the highlights during this trip. The Moselle, with a length of 544 km, is the Rhine's longest tributary and it is also the second most important shipping route in Germany. The Saar, which has the greatest abundance of water and a length of 246 km, is the Moselle's longest tributary. The quality of the cycle paths along this route is excellent. Most of the path along the Moselle is paved or asphalted and does not have any gradients of note. This makes the trip suitable even for relatively unpractised cyclists.
On the Moselle and Saar, the 68 meters long MS PATRIA, which can accommodate a max. of 68 guests, is your sailing home. The ship is modernized for boat bike tours and provides 15 cabins on the main deck and 19 cabins on the upper deck. All cabins are small and practicable (approx. 7 qm), with two beds standing in a right angle, with window (to be opened on the upper deck, but for safety reasons fixed on the main deck), shower + toilet, individually regulated air conditioning in all cabins on the main deck, as well in the restaurant and salon. This authentic ship has a nice salon with bar and large windows in front of the top deck and a separate restaurant on the main deck. On the partially covered sun deck there are sitting places (tables + chairs) for all guests and a cycle shed. The ship sails under Dutch Flag and management and had its sailing area in The Netherlands for many years. As from 2011 its sailing area is in Germany and it is a very popular ship for combined boat and bike tours.
Eight day self-guided tours (Sat.-Sat), mid of April till mid of October from Koblenz to Saarburg. Total of 210 to 250 cycling kilometres (approx. 130 to 155 miles) in 6 days
Day 1 (Sat): Koblenz: Arrival/embarkation
Embarkation as from 4 PM; the crew will welcome you on board. You will spend the evening and first night in Koblenz.
Day 2 (Sun): Koblenz - Alken by ship |
Alken - Moselkern-Cochem (bike tour ca. 28 km/17 miles)
The ship will bring you to Alken. The bike tour starts here and brings you to Mosel-kern, and then on to Cochem. Cochem is a lovely little town with historical half-timbered-houses and a picturesque Old town.
Day 3 (Mon): Cochem - Zell on the Moselle (bike tour ca. 39 km/24 miles)
The bike tour will first take you to Beilstein, which you can explore during a short tour on your own. Pass Europe's steepest vineyard at Bremmer Calmont. Today's tour ends in the wine village of Zell on the Moselle.
Day 4 (Tue): Zell - Bernkastel-Kues (bike tour ca. 46-49 km/28-30 miles)
The bike tour from Zell brings you to romantic Traben-Trarbach, where Jugendstil architecture shows its best side. After that the middle aged market place of Bernkastel-Kues invites you for a rest. You will reach the ship in Kues after a tour through town. In the evening you will have the chance to visit a local winegrowers place and enjoy a wine tasting with the famous Moselle wines (excursion, optional, bookable on board).
Day 5 (Wed): Bernkastel-Kues - Piesport-Mehring (bike tour ca. 46 km/28 miles)
Cycle tour to Piesport, the oldest winegrowing community along the Moselle. Here you can book a guided tour and visit the Roman cellars and the vineyards. Further on you come to Neumagen-Dhron which is the oldest wine city of Germany. After the lunch break the tour continues to Mehring.
Day6 (Thu): Mehring-Trier (bike tour ca. 26 km/16 miles)
You will cycle via Pfalzel to Trier, where the ship is waiting for you. In the afternoon you can explore the city in a special kind of way. Book a city walk with a "traditional Roman".Trier is one of the oldest cities of Germany. Its Roman roots are still visible in impressive buildings as the Porta Nigra, the Konstantin basilica and the Amphitheatre.
Day7 (Fri): Trier - Saarburg - Mettlach - Saarburg (bike tour ca. 26-64 km/16-40 miles)
Today you will be cycling along the river from Trier to Saarburg, also called "little Venice". In its centre you will find a waterfall of 20 meters deep. From here you have the possibility to go on to Mettlach where you can visit the famous porcelain manufactory. "Villeroy & Boch" and return to Saarburg.
Day8 (Sat): Saarburg
After breakfast: disembarkation and end of tour.
Your journey to Koblenz and from Saarburg will be individual.
- Basically, we reserve the right to make changes of routing and program. If there is low or high water and a route cannot be shipped, the captain reserves the right to change the route in view of your safety (this cannot
be accepted as a reason for free withdrawal).
- The interior of the ship is a non-smoking zone: smoking is only allowed on the sun deck.
- Embarkation: Guests may bring their luggage on board
as from 10:00 hours, boarding will take place in the afternoon from 15:00 hours to 17:00 hours.
- Disembarkation: After breakfast by 09:00 hours.
- Bicycles on board: Unisex bicycles with normal mount (ladies model), 7 gears, hand brake and pedal brake and pannier bag, limited number of freewheel hub bikes. E-Bikes are only available after prior request (by booking) and confirmation and at limited number. Please indicate your body height by booking. Own bikes can be brought at your own risk (limited number of own bikes, no responsibility for lost and damages).
- Cycle tours: All distances are "approximate distances" of recommended bike tours. When a guest does not want to cycle one day, she/he can skip the bike tour and relax on board while cruising to the next harbour.
- The bike tours: are individual, at your own pace, without a tour guide, but with daily briefings on board and detailed bicycle maps and directions. Nearly all cycle tours can be classified as being easy.
- Excursions: The excursions mentioned in the programme are all optional (surcharge - not included in the tour price) and can be booked directly on board at the tour guide.
- Luggage: we recommend: rainwear, bicycle helmet, sunhat and sneakers.
- Diet: (i.e.: lactosefree, glutenfree) possible on request and for an extra charge of EUR 25,-. Must be booked at least 14 days prior to departure. (to be paid directly on board)
- Travel documents: EU-nationals need a valid passport.
Prices 2017 per person in Euros:
Cabins: Apr 15th / Apr 19th + Oct 14st / May 27th - Sep 30th
Twin cabin main deck: 499,- / 599,- / 819,-
Twin cabin upper deck: 629,- / 729,- / 929,-
Twin cabin/single use main deck: 729,- / 829,- / 1049,-
Twin cabin/single use upper deck: 859,- / 959,- / 1159,-
Transfer back to Koblenz:
Travelling by train takes about 2 hours, approx. EUR 24,- per person (your tour guide will assist you with buying the tickets) or you take the transfer by mini bus (a minimum of 4 persons is necessary), approx. EUR 70,- per person (own bikes will be carried for an extra charge of EUR 13,- per bike). Limited space, reservation for the transfer bus required in advance, to be paid on spot.
Cochem, Eifel, Koblenz, Moselle, Rheinland-Pfalz, Rhine, Saar, Saarland, Trier
- 7 nights' accommodation in an outside cabin with shower/toilet in the booked cabin category from Koblenz to Saarburg
- Full board: breakfast, packed lunch for bike tours or noontime snack, coffee and tea in the afternoon, three-course dinner
- Use of bed linen and towels (change of towels daily possible)
- daily cleaning of the cabin
- Welcome drink and speech on the first evening
- All port and lock dues
- Daily bike tour meeting
- On-board tour guidance
- 1x book with route maps for individual tours per cabin
- Rental bike insurance
- Rental bicycle included on April 15th and October 14th
Start date: on request
Click to order
- Cabin and season prices see tour description
- EUR 70,- Rental fee for a 7-gear unisex bicycle with hand and back pedal brake or freewheel hubs (must be reserved in advance, limited number). All bikes have pannier bags
- EUR 165,- E-Bike (must be reserved in advance, limited number)
- Arrival and departure, transfers to/from the docking place in Koblenz/Saarburg
- Rental bicycle (optional), other transfers, parking fee, entrance fees & excursions, fees for ferries, drinks on board, personal insurances, gratuities (at your discretion)