Beautiful river valleys, vineyards and picturesque towns from Saarburg to Koblenz
MS PATRIA: Explore the valleys along Saar and Moselle
What could provide a more pleasant break than a trip to the Saar and the Moselle, two rivers which wind through enchanting countryside, where castles on the hills guard the route and you can visit market squares surrounded by timbered houses? Is it any wonder that Moselle wine has built up such a good name? The journey through the Moselle valley between Koblenz and Trier traverses some of Germany's most beautiful countryside. You will meet winegrowers and bottlers on the way, but also cyclists from all around the world.
The history of this region even goes back to the Roman Era, some 2.000 years ago. Beautiful timbered houses, vineyards, the Porta Nigra in Trier, the "German corner" (conjunction of Moselle and Rhine) in Koblenz and Saarburg (also known as "little Venice") are but a few of the highlights during this trip. The Moselle, with a length of 544 km, is the Rhine's longest tributary and it is also the second most important shipping route in Germany. The Saar, which has the greatest abundance of water and a length of 246 km, is the Moselle's longest tributary. The quality of the cycle paths along this route is excellent. Most of the path along the Moselle is paved or asphalted and does not have any gradients of note. This makes the trip suitable even for relatively unpractised cyclists.
On the Moselle and Saar, the 68 meters long MS PATRIA, which can accommodate a max. of 68 guests, is your sailing home. The ship is modernized for boat bike tours and provides 15 cabins on the main deck and 19 cabins on the upper deck. All cabins are small and practicable (approx. 7 qm), with two beds standing in a right angle, with window (to be opened on the upper deck, but for safety reasons fixed on the main deck), shower + toilet, individually regulated air conditioning in all cabins on the main deck, as well in the restaurant and salon. This authentic ship has a nice salon with bar and large windows in front of the top deck and a separate restaurant on the main deck. On the partially covered sun deck there are sitting places (tables + chairs) for all guests and a cycle shed. The ship sails under Dutch Flag and management and had its sailing area in The Netherlands for many years. As from 2011 its sailing area is in Germany and it is a very popular ship for combined boat and bike tours.
Eight day self-guided tours (Sat.-Sat), mid of April till mid of October from Saarburg to Koblenz; Total of 210 to 250 cycling kilometres (approx. 130 to 155 miles) in 6 days
Day 1 (Sat): Saarburg: Arrival and embarkation
Embarkation as from 16:00 hours, the crew will welcome you on board. You will spend the first night and evening in Saarburg. In the evening you will have the opportunity to explore Saarburg: in its centre is a waterfall of 20 meters deep.
Day 2 (Sun): Saarburg-Wasserbillig (Lux)- Trier (bike tour ca. 26-64 km/16-39 miles)
Today you will cycle from Saarburg along the idyllic nature reserve of the abandoned meander of the River Saar. Further on to the Igeler Säule and from here to Wasserbillig in Luxemburg. Later you will reach Trier, where the ship will be waiting for you. In the afternoon you can explore the city in a special kind of way. Book a city walk with a "traditional Roman".
Day 3 (Mon): Trier-Mehring (bike tour ca. 26 km/16 miles)
After breakfast you will cycle via Pfalzel to Mehring, the largest winegrowers' community in the Mosel-Saar-Ruwer region.
Day 4 (Tue): Mehring-Piesport-Bernkastel-Kues (bike tour ca.46 km/28 miles)
You will reach Bernkastel-Kues by bike. The market place from the Middle Ages with many wood timbered houses invites you for a rest. On your way you come to Neumagen-Dhron which is the oldest wine city of Germany. Further on you reach Piesport, the oldest winegrowing community along the Moselle. Here you can book a guided tour and visit the Roman cellars and the vineyards. In the evening you will have the chance to visit a local winegrowers place and enjoy a wine tasting with the famous Moselle wines (optional, bookable on board).
Day 5 (Wed): Bernkastel-Kues-Traben-Trarbach-Zell on the Mosel (bike tour ca. 46-49 km/28-30 miles)
Today's bike tour brings you to romantic Traben-Trarbach, where Jugendstil architecture shows its best side. Continuing to Zell, well known wine village on the Mosel.
Day 6 (Thu): Zell-Beilstein-Cochem (bike tour ca.39 km/24 miles)
The perfect maintained historical centre of Beilstein, "the Sleeping Beauty of the Mosel", is waiting for you. Today's tour ends in Cochem with the Reichsburg. Cochem is a lovely little town with historical half-timbered-houses and a picturesque Old town.
Day 7 (Fri): Cochem-Alken (bike tour ca. 29 km/18 miles) | Alken-Koblenz by ship
After a beautiful last cycling tour the ship waits for you in Alken, one of the oldest cities along the Moselle. Sail to Koblenz, where you will stay for the night.
Day 8 (Sat): Koblenz
After breakfast: disembarkation and end of the tour.
Your journey to Koblenz and from Saarburg will be individual.
- Basically, we reserve the right to make changes of routing and program. If there is low or high water and a route cannot be shipped, the captain reserves the right to change the route in view of your safety (this cannot
be accepted as a reason for free withdrawal).
- The interior of the ship is a non-smoking zone: smoking is only allowed on the sun deck.
- Embarkation: Guests may bring their luggage on board
as from 10:00 hours, boarding will take place in the afternoon from 15:00 hours to 17:00 hours.
- Disembarkation: After breakfast by 09:00 hours.
- Bicycles on board: Unisex bicycles with normal mount (ladies model), 7 gears, hand brake and pedal brake and pannier bag, limited number of freewheel hub bikes. E-Bikes are only available after prior request (by booking) and confirmation and at limited number. Please indicate your body height by booking. Own bikes can be brought at your own risk (limited number of own bikes, no responsibility for lost and damages).
- Cycle tours: All distances are "approximate distances" of recommended bike tours. When a guest does not want to cycle one day, she/he can skip the bike tour and relax on board while cruising to the next harbour.
- The bike tours: are individual, at your own pace, without a tour guide, but with daily briefings on board and detailed bicycle maps and directions. Nearly all cycle tours can be classified as being easy.
- Excursions: The excursions mentioned in the programme are all optional (surcharge - not included in the tour price) and can be booked directly on board at the tour guide.
- Luggage: we recommend: rainwear, bicycle helmet, sunhat and sneakers.
- Diet: (i.e.: lactosefree, glutenfree) possible on request and for an extra charge of EUR 25,-. Must be booked at least 14 days prior to departure. (to be paid directly on board)
- Travel documents: EU-nationals need a valid passport.
Prices 2017 per person in Euros:
Cabins: Oct 21st / Apr 22nd / May 6th + Oct 7th / June 3rd - Sep 23rd
Twin cabin main deck: 499,- / 599,- / 699,- / 819,-
Twin cabin upper deck: 629,- / 729,- / 829,- / 929,-
Twin cabin/single use main deck: 729,- / 829,- / 929,- / 1049,-
Twin cabin/single use upper deck: 859,- / 959,- / 1059,- / 1159,-
Transfer back to Saarburg:
Travelling by train takes about 2 hours, approx. EUR 24,- per person (your tour guide will assist you with buying the tickets) or you take the transfer by mini bus (a minimum of 4 persons is necessary), approx. EUR 70,- per person (own bikes will be carried for an extra charge of EUR 13,- per bike). Limited space, reservation for the transfer bus required in advance, to be paid on spot.
Cochem, Eifel, Koblenz, Moselle, Rheinland-Pfalz, Rhine, Saar, Saarland, Trier
- 7 nights' accommodation in an outside cabin with shower/toilet in the booked cabin category from Saarburg to Koblenz
- Full board: breakfast, packed lunch for bike tours or noontime snack, coffee and tea in the afternoon, three-course dinner
- Use of bed linen and towels (change of towels daily possible)
- daily cleaning of the cabin
- Welcome drink and speech on the first evening
- All port and lock dues
- Daily bike tour meeting
- On-board tour guidance
- 1x book with route maps for individual tours per cabin
- Rental bicycle included on April 22nd and October 21st
Start date: on request
Click to order
- Cabin and season prices see tour description
- EUR 70,- Rental fee for a 7-gear unisex bicycle with hand and back pedal brake or freewheel hubs (must be reserved in advance, limited number). All bikes have pannier bags
- EUR 165,- E-Bike (must be reserved in advance, limited number)
- Arrival and departure, transfers to/from the docking place in Saarburg/Koblenz
- Rental bicycle (optional), other transfers, parking fee, entrance fees & excursions, fees for ferries, drinks on board, personal insurances, gratuities (at your discretion)